The trend for butter boards we have been seeing across social media channels got us excited to try own own plant-based version and we were delighted with the result! This would be a great spread to lay out on a beautiful board at a dinner party alongside your bread baskets, appetisers and a nice aperitif.
The great thing about butter boards is how simple and versatile they can be. You can be as creative as you want. Just pick your favourite flavours and top with lots of lovely fresh herbs and ideally some edible flower too. All you need is a butter knife and a nice board to spread the butter on. We would suggest serving alongside some toasted sourdough.
Here is the recipe for our Rosemary and Garlic Butter Board:
- 2 sticks of vegan butter- softened at room temperature
- 2 tsp of flakey sea salt
- zest of one lemon
- 50g roasted garlic cloves- we roasted the bulb whole at 180 C (fan) for 30 mins with skins still on and then squeezed the garlic out of the cloves
- 3 sprigs of rosemary- lightly roasted in the oven at 160 for 4 minutes
- 1/2 a fig cut into thin slices
- Edible flowers ( we still had some chive flowers in our veg patch so we used these)
- fresh parsley and chives
- Mix the butter in a bowl to soften it even more, it should be spreadable but not melty. Layer it in swirls on the serving board.
Liberally sprinkle the butter with flakey salt and lemon zest.
- Layer each additional topping onto the butter, so that everything is evenly spread out.
Sprinkle with edible flowers to decorate. Serve with warm, crusty bread-preferably sourdough