It's pumpkin season and this cake is such a delicious way to bake something a little different.
Adapted from a recipe by Michaela Vais this is a recipe for a soft spiced pumpkin & crown prince squash (which gives a nutty & deep flavour) sponge with a creamy topping with pops of citrus coming through - plant-based decadence at it's best! Enjoy x
160g Brown Rice flour
90g oat flour
45g desiccated coconut
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
½ tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baobab powder*
1 tsp maca powder**
235g cooked squash or pumpkin
2 tbsp orange juice
60g peanut butter or any nut butter you like!
240 ml plant/nut milk of your choice***
Cashew orange frosting ingredients
100g cashews (soaked in hot water for 30-60 mins)
60ml Nut milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of half an orange
40ml of maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 180 and line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and stir with a whisk until no lumps are appearing.
- Process the wet ingredients in a blender or food processor until the mixture is smooth
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester pick or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
For the frosting
Simply place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Then spread it decadently across the loaf!
*very much an optional extra- it’s rich in vitamin C and high in fibre which is why I like to add it to various baked goods and smoothies.
**Again, an optional extra but gives the cake a nice nutritional boost, I also like to add this powder to my morning porridge
*** My go to milk at the moment is Califia Farms Oat Milk Barista Blend- I think it’s the best one I’ve ever tried. Oh so creamy and tasty!